Nov 13, 2009

"Silently I Weep" -- a scientist's tryst with science

Scientist Chitra Narayanasami gives us hope. I was feeling all these days that good science has been sacrificed at the altar of corporate interests. It is bad science that has taken over, with even distinguished centres of excellence like the Royal Academy of Sciences, Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and universities like Harvard, Cornell, Cambridge bowing to the needs of Monsanto, ADM and Wal-Mart's.

I know quite a number of scientists who actually voice serious concern at the way present day science has been derailed by a few crooks in the guise of scientists, and I know they also weep silently. Like Chitra, I am sure there must be still a large number of scientists worldwide who haven't still mortgaged their conscious. This silent tide will turn the tables one day, I am very hopeful.

Thank you Chitra for giving me this hope. Your thoughts expressed in this moving poem have come as the only silver-lining peeping through the dark clouds of corporate takeover of science. I am sure the silent majority among the scientific community would remain eternally grateful to you for expressing their pain.

Here is a poem penned down by Chitra Narayanasami:

Silently I weep
My Tryst with Science

Beneath a smiling face
Silently I weep
When I put my little boy to sleep
In the scented fragrance of pyretheroids

Beneath a smiling face
Silently I weep
When I feed my little boy
With lethal genes of GM food

Beneath a smiling face
Silently I weep
When I clothe my little boy
With lethal genes of GM cotton

Beneath a smiling face
Silently I weep
When I failed to nurture my boy
The priceless natural air, food or clothing

Beneath a smiling face
Silently I weep
Enshrouded in languishing science
Pushed away miles from nature

Beneath a smiling face
Silently I weep
Tear by tear falling down in vain
Like pearls thrown before swine

Beneath a smiling face
Silently I weep
Hoping for a silver lining
In our tryst with science

- Chitra Narayanasami

(I thank my colleague Ramasamy Selvam for sharing this poem with us)

No comments: